I’m nursing my second baby right now, my first was breastfed for over a year, and it was her who decided that she was done with it. So no wonder I’m quite interested with the subject :). And since most information that we hear talks about the general health benefits for the baby, and extra cuddle time with mummy, well I wanted to go a bit beyond that, and look into the advantages for both woman and child. So here are some cool facts, some from research and some from my personal experience, that you might have not known about breastfeeding :
1. It is linked to prevent breast cancer , so basically the longer you nurse the lower are your chances to get breast cancer.
(more info : http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264796.php
2. Poop of a baby exclusively breastfed does not really stink.
3. Exclusive breastfeeding is associated with less colic .
4. Breastfeeding is also associated with baby’s longer nocturnal sleep thanks to melatonin that is present in mothers milk .
5. Each time you nurse your body is giving you a gift; a feel good hormone (oxytocin) is being released. As an effect you feel content, satisfied and happy as if you would have had chocolate or been kissing a lot !:)
6. If you are nursing at night lying in bed on the side:
you almost don’t need to wake up, so you sleep better.
7. It can be more difficult than you thought it would be. You might need help of a lactation consultant, who actually will help you solve your breastfeeding problems.
8. Research shows the link between breastfeeding and lower risk of allergies.
9. There is no pattern, if you were struggling with your first child, second one can pleasantly surprise you. You might have more milk and your child might latch better.
10. Breastfeeding is associated with better cognitive development of children.
(More info : http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/106317.php)
And if you ever wondered why do people get offended when you nurse in public, click here.